7.31.2011

Deliverance

"Sukhanusayi Ragah" .... "Excessive attachment is based on the assumption that it will contribute to everlasting happiness." - Sutra 2.7


I spent the nine months of my pregnancy reading books about natural childbirth, practicing breathing techniques and mastering different positions to ease labor pains. And while I told myself I had no "plan" and would just "go with the flow," deep down I had decided that I would have the perfect unmedicated labor and delivery. Those complications that other people experience? Not going to be an issue for me! Well, as usual, I was taught a very valuable lesson about attachment. 


My labor started on a Tuesday, exactly 6 days before I actually gave birth to my daughter. Every evening, like clockwork, I would start having excruciating contractions that lasted between 2 and 5 minutes, about one or two every hour. And while the intensity of the contractions was severe, the labor never progressed. During the day, I would have very light contractions or none at all. The first two days I assumed I was in early labor, and started practicing all the techniques I had learned... warm baths, pranayama, stretching,  foot massages from my husband. We called our parents, assuming things were going to progress soon. Wrong! Thursday evening, we did everything we could think of to get labor started. Long walks, eating pineapple and spicy food, walking up stairs, the salad from the local pizzeria rumored to induce labor. Nothing changed, and our frustration grew. I was now into my third sleepless night of intense pain, with nothing to show for it. This continued through Sunday, when after two trips to the hospital to get checked and consult with my midwives, my husband and I decided we had had enough. This baby needed to come out soon, as 6 sleepless days and nights were taking its' toll on us. We knew if we didn't induce, there was no way I would have the energy to push and we'd end up in the OR for a c-section. We consulted with our amazing midwife, and I asked her to induce me. We agreed that because I had been unable to sleep for almost a week, I should receive pitocin and an epidural (the epidural more so I could rest than for the pain). Honestly, that was the best decision we made. Even with the pitocin, it took over 12 hours for me to dilate from 4cm to 10cm. Along the way, I had the most compassionate care in my nurse Karen and midwife Shadman. They were so encouraging, so sweet and so understanding. I felt no judgment, and completely supported in my decision. After a restful evening (no sleep, but at least relaxation), at 7:00 a.m. I was still only 8cm dilated. The shift changed, and my sweet nurse and midwife were replaced with a much tougher team. 


My new nurse Donna came in and saw my progress and decided to up my pitocin by 2 every half hour instead of 1 every hour. While this made me much more uncomfortable (even with the epidural I could feel each contraction), I was happy to finally be progressing. She and my midwife Susan were much more aggressive, and by 9:00am I was ready to push. Because of the epidural, however, I couldn't feel what my body needed to do. After consulting with Susan, it was decided my epidural would be turned off. Within minutes, sensation returned to my legs. After another hour, Susan came back and we started the real work of getting this baby out. I won't detail what followed, as there is nothing pretty about the birthing process, but suffice it to say, it was the most intense experience of my life (quick sidenote to apologize to my amazing husband, who I'm afraid I wasn't always kind to... nurse Donna passed him a note during the pushing stage that said "women are usually fussy at this point - don't take it personally". Bless her!). An hour and forty-five minutes later, the NICU team was summoned as Juna approached the outside world (when my water broke, there was meconium present). Again, thank goodness things worked out that way, because when Juna came out, the cord was wrapped twice tightly around her neck. A quick cut and she was whisked away by the NICU team to be suctioned, stimulated, poked and prodded. Two weak cries were all I heard, and I saw nothing. Dashed again were our intentions of having her placed directly on my chest for skin to skin bonding, breastfeeding and my husband cutting the cord. At this point, all our original ideas had to be shelved as we prayed and hoped for a healthy baby. 


Ten minutes later, Juna was given to me for all of 60 seconds. My savior, Nurse Donna, thought to take a picture, which I will treasure forever, as Juna was then whisked away again for a stay in the NICU. Two hours later, I insisted on walking to the NICU to finally spend some time getting to know my little girl. She had oxygen tubes in her nose, and monitors on her chest, with pinpricks on each tiny hand where they tried to find a vein to give her fluids. We were only able to look at her before I was taken back to recovery. My husband stayed to watch over her, and called awhile later to say we were going to get to hold her. I asked if we could try breastfeeding and was told that I could, but if I gave her a bottle instead they would discharge her and let her room in with us. Not exactly the start I was hoping for in our nursing relationship, but we agreed as we so badly wanted her off the monitors and in our arms. At seven o'clock that evening, Juna arrived in our room, pink and healthy. 


It was a long process that required compromise, understanding and detachment on all sides, and though this was not the birth experience I envisioned, at the end, we walked away with a healthy baby and a healthy mama. There were moments that I felt extremely sad that I had not been able to provide her with a completely smooth transition into the world, and that is when it became imperative to call upon my yogic reserves and remember that attachment to what has transpired in the past is not productive. As the sutra says, excessive attachment to one idea presumes that there is only one way to achieve happiness, but when you enter into a situation with an open mind and heart, and follow the course of action that is necessary in the present moment, naturally the situation will resolve itself and you may learn a thing or two on the way! 


As Pema Chodron says "To be fully alive, fully human, and completely awake is to be continually thrown out of the nest. To live fully is to be always in no-man's land, to experience each moment as completely new and fresh. To live is to be willing to die over and over again." To me, this means becoming unattached to outcomes, and be fully invested in the process. My illusions of having the perfect transition into parenthood are gone, and as I relinquish more control this lesson is reaffirmed. We learned it again bringing baby home to meet dog... after watching "The Dog Whisperer" and reading up on the subject, we had a plan on how to introduce the two. Unfortunately, as soon as we walked in the house, Juna had a complete meltdown and we forgot the dog even existed. So much for our peaceful first meeting! I had also assumed that we would have a calm, relaxed, mellow baby... we spent nine hours yesterday trying to calm our colicky infant. Letting go of attachment is easier said than done, but as soon as I accept what is really happening, I see with clarity and can better care for my daughter. 


The name Juna was inspired by the character of Arjuna, the spiritual warrior in the Bhagavad Gita. I come back to this text often to remind myself not to cling too tightly to material things, to desires, or to ideas. These are lessons I hope to pass on to my daughter. The Bhagavad Gita tells us that "the person whose mind is always free from attachment, who has subdued the mind and senses, and who is free from desires, attains the supreme perfection of freedom from Karma through renunciation." I am now going through the process of freeing myself from needing to be the "perfect" parent, instead focusing on the child in front of me. I am trying to see her clearly for what she is (fussy, unpredictable, adorable, fascinating...) and not what I assumed she would be. Doing this now will ensure that later on in her life, when she inevitably makes a decision I don't agree with, I will be able to accept and love her for who she is and not who I wanted her to be. Loving unconditionally leaves no room for attachment, and it seems to me that the "perfect" parent sometimes makes mistakes or disappoints, but always chooses to love completely and without judgment. 


We are so blessed to have Juna Meredith Anderson as our child. On the day of her birth, July 18, she weighed seven pounds, three ounces and was nineteen and a half inches long. She is a joy in every moment and we couldn't be happier!



23 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Enjoy every single moment, before you know it she will be in college or having a baby herself. Its truly fascinating to watch little ones grow every day (I am a nanny & an aunt), and to see them progress and watch them explore the world. Its something different every single day. I love it, and I hope you both will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my dear, are a wonderful old soul... it is a joy to witness the unfolding of your life! -- Janet Eaton

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is absolutely beautiful Kiera, as we told Bradford last Sunday night during FCW. You can see what a proud Dad he is. God blessed you and Bradford with a beautiful daughter.

    All the best ~
    Shelley Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Over the next few months, you will be amazed at the changes she will go through. A child is a true blessing that not everyone is able to experience. Truly happy for your new little bundle. Savor each moment because a child does grow up so quickly. Before you know it, she will be going off to college, getting married or just experiencing life. You are both very blessed to have her. Congratulations again and enjoy your new bundle of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful post Kiera..Congratulations to you and Bradford on the most gorgeous baby...Child birth never ever goes as planned but it makes it all the more exciting. Continue your current philosophy, you and Bradford will be the best parents any child could ask for. Enjoy each other everyday because that is all that matters. I treasure my daughter everyday as I know you always will....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. The delivery for my girls were each different and challenging. First one I had an epidural, the 2nd was natural(not by choice) My 1st was fussy & my 2nd was a sleeper. Enjoy each moment. Mine are now 6 and 8 and I still cannot believe how fast time flew by. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy each moment you both have with your baby. These are the most wonderful days that can be. They grow up so quickly, they change so much, they are a blessing. Love to the three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiera,

    you are the most amazing daughter and I am so proud of you. We love you sweet family!

    Marmee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to you and yours on the new baby!!! She is a doll!!! I too had a baby that had to be whisked away to NICU as soon they were born and I know the pain of not getting to hold the baby. My little boy was born with the cord wrapped around his little neck twice and was not breathing. Luckily y'all had her in the room with you before you left the hospital. I didn't have that joy with my son, for he was in NICU for 12 days. Seeing him with all the tubes, leads and everything on him about killed me. I am so glad that y'all's little girl is home safe in your arms. Y'all will make awesome parents. And I will continue to watch "Jackal" on GH everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well written Keira and beautiful! You must remember ""perfect" parent sometimes makes mistakes or disappoints, but always chooses to love completely and without judgment" always as it will come back to slap you in the face very often. :) Congratulation to you and Bradford!
    Paula Muller

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kiera,

    Though I gave birth as many years ago as you are old, I too gave birth to a 7 lb. 19 1/2 in. daughter. Her delivery was long but natural. I was stuck on a "no drug" birth as well. I got what I wanted and a healthy daughter to boot and am to this day, blessed to have her in my life as child and friend.

    Our daughter too was plagued with colic. It is almost as horrible for the parents as it is for baby. As caring parents, we want our child content and at peace but when that isn't the case, we tend to over fret.

    The phrase.. "This too shall pass" couldn't be more apropos. In three months time our baby girl was sleeping peacefully through the night and colic was gone. Doctors told us that twelve pounds seems to be either a magic number or, by that time, the baby's digestive system has developed to a point that gas and other discomforts can move on down the line more easily. That said, colic is only one stumbling block down the path of parenthood.

    Living in the moment is key. Unfortunately, I didn't find the "middle path" until my daughter was grown. Hindsight being 20/20, I see clearly if would of had your insight right after our daughter's birth, so much stress for this parent and child would have been prevented.

    Living in now without attachment is something I must gently remind myself of daily.

    You are an inspiration to all young mothers and to this older Mom as well.

    Little Juna couldn't be in more loving, capable hands with you and Bradford!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Kiera and Bradford! Juna Meredith is a beautiful, precious baby girl! I wish you all much love, happiness and many blessings! Love to you all and Huck too! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand how everyone "plans" how they want their labor and deliveries to go but sometimes those plans take a turn for the better as to fit the situation. My first was a C-section that I desperately did not want but upon delivery found that her umbilical cord was extremely short and had delivery been natural could have killed her and me. Although my deliveries for each of my 3 children did not turn out how I wanted, I was able to bond and nurse each of them for well over a year which I would never take back.
    Good luck to you and Bradford with your gorgeous little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I read your blog ... I was reminded exactly what you said about...our expectations of being the perfect parent and following all the info we filled our minds with as we sat in wait of delivering our beloved child...to only throw it out the window and concentrate on the beautiful child in front of us....what and how God created her to be ...that in the end is what being the perfect parent is about ...throwing out the word perfection...and bonding with Gods gift to us/you...congrats and welcome to world of parenthood :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first few week of parenthood is a huge adjustment. Take lots of naps and have lots of quiet and the three of your will figure it all out together. I am very happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kiera, I'm so glad that everything with Juna turned out so well. She's such a beautiful baby, and you and Bradford are obviously so happy to be parents. I hope this journey brings you all so much love and joy. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful birth story! My son turned 3 on July 18th this year and it's a great birth date! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kiera ... what a beautifully detailed account of Juna's birth!

    You and Bradford be sure to savor each and every moment with your sweet little daughter. She will grow up so quickly. I am 70 and looking back, my children grew up in the blink of an eye.

    To those who want to know what is the purpose of life ... I say the bigger question is ... where does time GO?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! I had a similar experience with my second child. I was judged for having him sleep with me for 3 months. Colicky, and fussy. He would only sleep wrapped in my arms. Later (he is 8 now)I found out that he had sensory issues and anxiety, then for a short time last year seizures. He is doing well now which I attribute to my attitude change and leaving my job to be with him more. I learned from my experience that Mommy know's best. I have 3 totally different children and my instincts have never been wrong. Enjoy the journey with your beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is all so beautiful, and takes me back to my own labor and the early days with my son. The moments are all so precious, even the hard ones. You're so right to focus on non-attachment -- the beauty is in observing, appreciating and experiencing it all to the fullest.

    My son is a rough and tumble big boy now, but he is also my sweet baby and will be until he is old and grey. I'm sure it'll be the same for you and your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations to both of you. Juna Meredith is absolutely beautiful and I know that both of you will be great parents. Your blog proves that. I was never blessed to have any biological children but was truly blessed by being able to adopt two children. These children of mine will both be 40 yrs. this year and I love them now as I did when I first saw them. Continue to just be there for Juna and to listen to her. That is what is especially loving for a parent to do for their children.

    P.S. Wasn't quite sure how to post a profile so chose anonymous but my name is Lillian and am a huge fan of Bradford and General Hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can relate to being dissapointed about certain aspects of the birthing experience. I wanted my child to be born on his due date, so that he would have the same birth number as my favorite female vocalist, since she died while I was still pregnant, but I had to be induced a day early. Then, I wanted to have the whole thing videotaped, but they wouldn't allow us to bring a video camera into the delivery room. But I do yoga, as well, and like that you've gotten so much out of it, not only physically but mentally. Makes me re-evaluate the real reason I, myself, am doing it. I must say, it's difficult to completely free yourself of attachment, however, when you're OCD like I am ;) Your daughter is absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete